Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Mountains to Climb

Hello family! Long time no see! 6 months now. Time has flown by for me! I'll see you in a year! But we have Skype time here soon, so I'm excited! I'm still not sure of the exact details, but I know it's only supposed to be a 40 minute Skype call, so that's kind of sad. I'll let you know more details when I find out more!

Things in Machida have been pretty good. Monday we went to an aquarium in Shonan, Tokyo, which was fun! It was a huge aquarium, and it was right next to the ocean. I got to touch a dolphin, so I was happy. I also got to touch a shark and an octopus! It was the weirdest feeling having it suck my finger.

On Wednesday instead of going to regular English class, M Shimai and I started an English Bible class where we read the Bible together with some of the English class students. It was a way cool experience! We read the last chapter in Matthew together since it was Easter recently. Because the Japanese people don't know a lot about Christianity, they didn't know about any of it, so it was really great to learn about Christ with them. I also learned something! You know the word "banzai"? It's a Japanese word that means "all hail" kind of. I had no idea! I thought it was just something you said when you jumped into a pool!

On Thursday we went to visit a member of our ward who is in the hospital. It was a great experience. Turns out she first learned about the church when her son was in the hospital and she was given a Book of Mormon. Now she wants to pay it forward and give Book of Mormons to everyone in the hospital while she is there! We were actually able to give out one and we met a Korean woman who wanted one too. The lady in the hospital was a great example to me because even though she is in the circumstances she is in, she is still so full of light and you can feel Christ-like love radiating from her. I learned a lot from her! Hopefully we get to go back and visit her again soon.

Saturday was a cool experience! We got all the missionaries in the zone together and we went to Tama for four hours to tell people about family history! We streeted, housed and passed out Family History papers. We had some pretty cool stories come from it! One elder talked to a guy who wants to talk to his parents more, and because he received a family history paper he can now! We also met a PI who has met with missionaries before while doing this. I had a cool story too! I saw two foreigner girls looking at a map, so I went up and talked to them. They were from Sicily, and they said I was the first foreigner to talk to them, so they asked to take a picture with me! It was way fun!

As for the title of this email, I read President Eyring's "Mountains to Climb" talk from April 2012 Conference, and M Shimai and I made it a goal to ask for our own mountain to climb as a companionship so that through a trial, we may be able to become the best missionaries possible. Nothing has really happened yet, but we are still working and being obedient as possible! One funny thing though, when we asked for a mountain to climb, we literally got one because we went hiking yesterday. We went to Mt. Takao and it was beautiful! We saw Mt. Fuji from the top. It was a way fun hike. The people that took us to the houses went on the hike with us too. I'm kind of sore from the hike, but it was fun.

That's about all for this week! I love you all so much! I'll talk to you soon! 愛しています

Lexie
ダンジー姉妹



No comments:

Post a Comment